Our frequently asked questions can help you access a lot of the information you need to best support your child with SEN.

These are some of the questions we are often asked by parents and carers who are concerned their child may be struggling in school.

What should I do if I think my child needs more help at school?

Firstly, have a chat with your child’s class teacher. They can discuss your concerns and will be able to advise about your child’s progress to date, any possible barriers to learning, and what interventions and support they can provide at class level.

How do school identify children who may need more support?

We monitor the children’s progress on a regular/termly basis. If we believe a child is finding something particularly challenging or difficult, we will put support in place accordingly. This might be as simple as extra handwriting practice, or maths group work. Most children can struggle from time to time, and receiving support does not necessarily mean your child has special educational needs.

What if the problem persists/it seems like a bigger problem?

If your child is still struggling despite differentiated teaching and support then the teacher will liaise with the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (Senco) and your child may be placed on the SEN register. This is a list of all the children at school who need some form of ongoing extra support. The class teachers liaise with the Senco and senior leadership team on a termly basis to decide how best to support these children with the resources available.

What is SEN/D what does it cover?

SEN/D covers the full range of emotional, behavioural and learning difficulties. This might display as problems with reading, writing, communication, social interaction, concentration, or focus, among other things. Not making progress or a sudden change in progress is also a potential sign of underlying SEN.

Who will support my child in school?

The main support for all children at Yerbury is their class teacher, alongside the class Teaching Assistant. They deliver targeted support to children across the curriculum on a daily basis, including running small breakout group work to target common problem areas such as handwriting, and early numeracy and literacy skills. Other adults working in the classroom with children who have additional learning needs include a team of Learning Support Assistants, the Dyslexia Specialist Support Teacher and where appropriate, staff from external agencies. You can read more about our SEN team here

SEND support for children at Yerbury is coordinated by the Senco though they do not normally work directly with children in class.

When is support given?

Support is given in class time, alongside normal teaching. We occasionally take children out of class to access music or art therapy with specialist providers.

 How will the school support my child?

Every child is different, so the level or types of support given will be dependent upon the individual child’s needs. We have a range of ways to support children who are finding something challenging. These will include a range of in class strategies as well as some targeted intervention groups if necessary. Children are selected for targeted intervention based on need and set criteria and not all interventions are available to all children.

What levels of support are available?

Needs of individual children are very varied, as is the range of support available. This includes:

  • Individual learning plans – a collaboratively written document which outlines a student’s current level of ability and future goals.
  • Pupil Passport – a document profiling the child’s specific needs and preferences
  • Pupil Progress Meetings between parents and teachers
  • Differentiation of work within class
  • Small group intervention or booster groups for core subjects (Literacy/Numeracy)
  • Use of specific resources or adaptations to the equipment used
  • Support from teaching assistants within class
  • Extra, personalised support from staff (1:1)
  • Education Health Care Plan (EHCP)

What programmes/interventions do you use with kids who are finding core subjects hard?

We run a number of school-wide learning programmes including Times Tables Rockstars, Spelling Shed and Numbots. For those with specific difficulties in literacy we use TicTacToe and Nessy.

Which other specialists might support my child?

We work with a range of professionals who may support your child. This includes an Educational Psychologist, Speech and Language Therapist, Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist, and CAMHS (Child Adolescent Mental Health Services) professionals.

What can I do at home to help my child?

Ensure sure you read with your child every day and support them in learning their times tables. Your child’s teacher will be able to explain more specific support depending on your child’s needs.

How do I stay informed about the extra support my child is getting?

We hold two parents’ evenings a year where your child’s class teacher can update you on general interventions, and a final report at the end of the academic year. All form teachers are also available to speak to parents informally and privately at an allotted time each week, to be booked through the office. You can also request a meeting with the Senco at any point during the year.

If your child has a diagnosis then teachers should be able to share termly SEN progress reports, to review your child’s Pupil Passport or Individual Learning Plan. Some children who have an EHCP or 1:1 support will have a home-school book, which their TA and parents write in daily to record the day at school, progress and concerns.

What training are the staff supporting children with SEN having/had?
All staff in school have had general training and awareness-raising sessions in specific areas of SEN as part of their Continuous Professional Development (CPD). This can take place during staff training (INSET) days and in weekly staff meetings.

What is an EHCP?
An Education Health Care Plan is a detailed, document outlining a child’s special educational, health, and social care needs and the provision they require, issued by the local authority. EHCPs are for those children with complex and severe needs who require support beyond that which the school can provide, without additional funding and support from the local authority.

How are funding and resources distributed between children with SEN?
All schools are expected to find the first £6,000 from within the school’s budget to support children and young people with SEN who are on the school’s Inclusion/SEN register. The school can apply for a ‘top-up’, based on strict criteria, if it is felt that a child’s needs are above that which can be provided through the £6,000. The school uses the funds to put appropriate support in place to meet the specific needs of a child.

Where else can I go for more support? Who can I contact for further information?

School Senco (via
SEN Ambassador Network at school (via
SEN Governors (via



Islington Council Local Offer

Northern Health Centre Occupational Therapy Clinic